Forgotten Realms: Birthright
Deep gnomes, called Svirfneblin in their own language, are a subrace of gnomes that live hidden in the depths of the Underdark.
Svirfneblin have gnarled physiques, of similar height to their surface kin. They have brown or gray skin, gray eyes and gray hair (although males are bald).
While their surface cousins are known for their boundless optimism and cheerful mischief, the svirfneblin are serious creatures. They tend to be sullen, withdrawn and suspicious to a fault.
They survive in the Underdark by maintaining wariness of others and working hard to keep their underground society secret.
Deep gnomes may be the world’s stealthiest and most elusive folk. Centuries upon centuries of surviving the deadly perils of the Underdark have bred in them an amazing gift for avoiding attention. They are nearly undetectable by magical means, and even on the surface, when out of their element, they are incredibly hard to spot.
- Ability Adjustment: +2 Dexterity, +1 Wisdom, -2 Strength, -2 Charisma
- Movement: 9
- Infravision: Deep gnomes can see varying degrees of heat in the darkness to a distance of 120’.
- Innate Magic All deep gnomes can cast Blindness, Blur, and Change self 1/day
- Non Detection: All deep gnomes radiate Non-detection as the spell.
- Magic Resistance: Deep gnomes have a base magic resistance of 20% and gain an extra 5% for every level beyond the 3rd.
- Freeze in Place: Svirfneblin can remain absolutely still for long periods, giving them a 60% chance to remain undetected by any observer, even one with infravision.
- Subterranean Affinity: While underground, they can detect several phenomenon when within 10’ of the feature (depth and direction can be determined anywhere). The must stop and concentrate for one round to use any of these.
They include: Grade or slope of a passage (5 in 6 chance); Unsafe walls, ceilings and floors (7 in 10 chance); Determine approximate depth underground (4 in 6 chance); Determine approximate direction underground (3 in 6 chance).
- Light Sensitivity: Deep gnomes cannot see in bright light. Any light greater than that of torches or continual light spells (including
bright sunlight) will blind them and severely affect their ability to fight. Wan light, like that of a light spell, does not trigger this disadvantage. Bright light causes them to suffer, temporarily, –2 to Dexterity. Attack rolls are made at a –2 penalty, and opponents gain a +2 save against their spells if they are within the light. When a deep gnome is in darkness and his opponents are in the light, he retains his Dexterity and surprise advantages but still suffers a penalty on attack rolls.
Regions: The Underdark
Racial Spells: Deep Gnomes can pick one spell from the following list when starting play: Comprehend Languages, Spider Climb, Phantasmal Force, and Cling.