Forgotten Realms: Birthright
Drow, also known as dark elves, are a sub-race of elves that live predominantly in the Underdark.
They are shorter than other elves and have a tremendous resistance to magic.
They have obsidian-colored skin and white or silvery hair. Drow eyes are usually bright red, purple, yellow, or pale blue.
Female drow are larger than males.
Drow are taught from an early age to trust no one, forging alliances only when they are convenient. Drow find it more difficult to form friendships than most races do.
Most drow are extremely arrogant, sadistic and xenophobic, and hate their own surface kin most of all. There are of course exceptions that choose instead to open their minds and seek to escape the confines of their dark homes, but they are rare. It is important to recognize that though drow are devious, they are not necessarily evil. Drow can become forces of good given the right conditions. However, the mental scars of the Underdark are not easily shrugged off.
Drow admire stealth and guile, and works of great skill. They seek out power and wealth whenever they can. Skill at arms and arcane prowess are greatly respected.
The majority of Drow live in theocratic matriarchal societies, where the worship of Lloth is ubiquitous and her priestesses are feared.
Their society is built up of city states in the great caverns of the Underdark, where great noble houses rule with an iron fist, competing with one another to acquire the most power. It is a brutal and cruel world.
Drow have a unique sign language, that allows them to communicate silently with hand gestures.
- Ability Adjustments: +2 Dexterity, +1 Intelligence, -1 Constitution, -2 Charisma
- Movement Rate: 12
- Infravision: Drow can see varying degrees of heat in the darkness to a distance of 120’.
- Perceptive: Elves can spot secret or concealed doors with relative ease. Merely passing within 10’ of a concealed door gives them a 1 in 6 chance to notice it. If actively searching for such doors, they have a 1 in 3 chance to find a secret door, or a 1 in 2 chance to find a concealed portal.
Resistances: Drow have magic resistance equal to 50% + 2% per level, to a max of 80% (multiclass drow use their highest level).
In addition to their high magic resistance, drow also receive a +2 bonus on all saves involving magic.
- Innate Magic: Drow can cast Dancing Lights, Faerie Fire and Darkness once per day. Drow above 4th level can use Levitate, Know Alignment and Detect Magic once per day.
Light Sensitivity: Drow cannot see in bright light. Any light greater than that of torches or continual light spells (including
bright sunlight) will blind them and severely affect their ability to fight. Wan light, like that of a light spell, does not trigger this disadvantage. Bright light causes the drow to suffer, temporarily, –2 to Dexterity. Attack rolls are made at a –2 penalty, and opponents gain a +2 save against drow spells if they are within the light. When a drow is in darkness and his opponents are in the light, he retains his Dexterity and surprise advantages but still suffers a penalty on attack rolls.
- Cultural Stigma: All other elves hate the drow, and reactions to them are with at least a –4 penalty. This modifier is cumulative to any kits the drow player might be using. Only after a particular elf comes to accept a particular drow as a friend, does this penalty disappear.
Regions: Underdark Drow cities. Drow who grew up on the surface can select another region of their choice.
Racial Spells: Drow Elf wizards can pick one spell from the following list when starting play: Cling, Spider Eyes, Immunity to Adherence, and Masque Mask.