Forgotten Realms: Birthright
Rock gnomes are a capricious, childlike race. They are the most common gnome subrace on Faerun. They spend their long lives filling each day with as much fun and enjoyment as possible.
Rock gnomes are typically small in stature, roughly 3 feet tall. Their skin tone is usually tan regardless of exposure to the sun. Their hair is as varied in colour as that of humans, but they are fond of dying it with bright colours. Male gnomes typically keep elaborate beards.
Most rock gnomes enjoy living life to the fullest, asking endless questions, playing pranks on friends and strangers, and finding new and interesting hobbies. Much like a child, they lack a strong attention span unless the task at hand is of notable interest.
Rock gnomes gather in small towns, rarely reaching 500 adults. They consider large cities to be uncomfortable, partially because of the demand the Big Folk have for their skills. Rock gnomes are comfortable deep underground almost as much as on the surface, possessing skill in smelting and gemcutting that surpasses that of dwarves, along with notable skills in toymaking and clockwork engineering. Rock gnomes are also the finest producers of the new weapons known as gonnes or “Plickenstinters” after the late, great Kassawar Plickenstint.
- Ability Adjustment: +1 Intelligence, -1 Wisdom
- Movement: 9
- Infravision: Rock gnomes can see varying degrees of heat in the darkness to a distance of 60’.
- Gnomish Enemies: All rock gnomes get a +1 to hit when fighting goblinoid races and kobolds.
- Pierce Illusion: Rock gnomes gain a +2 bonus to all saves to resist or detect illusion magic.
- Subterranean Affinity: While underground, they can detect several phenomenon when within 10’ of the feature (depth and direction can be determined anywhere). The must stop and concentrate for one round to use any of these.
They include: Grade or slope of a passage (5 in 6 chance); Unsafe walls, ceilings and floors (7 in 10 chance); Determine approximate depth underground (4 in 6 chance); Determine approximate direction underground (3 in 6 chance).
- Animal Affinity: Rock gnomes can speak with any burrowing animal at will. Examples include moles, badgers, weasels, rabbits, shrews and so on.
Regions: Lantan, The Western Heartlands, The Dalelands, The Great Dale and Thesk are the main regions where gnomes have settled in small groups, but they may be found in most temperate, forested regions.
Racial Spells: Rock Gnomes can pick one spell from the following list when starting play: Audible Glamer, Color Spray, Phantasmal Force, and Chromatic Orb.